- Three oil PSUs to give 70,000 LPG connections in Gujarat
- Three major public sector oil companies today announced that they would be distributing 70,000 LPG connections in the state on April 20 to households living Below Poverty Line (BPL).
- On that day, around 15,000 ‘LPG panchayats’ will be held across the country under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY).
- In Gujarat, distributors of Indian Oil Corporation, Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) and Bharat Petroleum (BPCL) would organise 701 such LPG panchayats on April 20.
- LPG panchayat will serve as an interactive platform between existing customers, officials and those who are interested to switch to LPG. Each meeting is aimed at bringing together 500 women from nearby areas and thereby providing 100 new connections at each of these panchayats on that day.
- Since its launch in May 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, around 12.75 lakh LPG connections under the PMUY scheme have been provided to eligible BPL beneficiaries in Gujarat, where the total number of LPG connections stood at 85 lakh.
- As many as 3.58 crore LPG connections have been provided to BPL families across the country since the programme was launched.
- India ranks 10th on new Commonwealth innovation index
- India has ranked 10th on a new Commonwealth Innovation Index, topped by the UK, Singapore and Canada.
- The index was launched as part of a new Commonwealth Innovation Hub on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London.
- It has been created in partnership with the United Nations World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and its annual Global Innovation Index (GII).
- First regional conference of eastern states on Water Resources
- The first regional conference of eastern states on Water Resources was held in Kolkata on April 16 to address the outstanding water issues of these states.
- The conference deliberated on finding a solution to mitigate intra and intra-basin issues relating to water resources in Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha and West Bengal.
- The issue of interlinking of rivers also come-up for discussion at the conference.
- East Godavari, first district with complete LED street lighting
- East Godavari district in Andhra Pradesh is all set to become the country’s first ‘LED street light district’.
- The rural LED street lighting programme in the district entailing the installation of around 3.1 lakh LED street lights has been completed.
- The exercise is expected to save around 34 Million Units (MU) annually.
- AP is already ranked the best State in implementation of energy efficiency and conservation programmes by the World Bank.
- Union Government Revises Target To Complete PMGSY From Year 2022 To 2019
- The Union Government has stated that the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojanaor PMGSY is well on its way to achieving the target by March 2019.
- The scheme, since its inception in 2000, has been able to provide connectivity to more than One lakh 50 thousand habitations.
- Sensing the importance and urgency of rural roads for national development, the target date for completion of PMGSY-I has been preponed from 2022 to 2019.
· Electric vehicles charging stations need no licence, clarifies Power Ministry
- The Power Ministry has categorised charging batteries of electric vehicles as a service, a move which will help such stations operate without licence and encourage the use of e-vehicles.
- Transmission, distribution and trading of electricity need licences under the Electricity Act. Therefore, all utilities have to seek licences for sale of power to consumers.
- The Ministry said in a clarification that during the charing of e-vehicles, a station does not perform any activity related to the transmission, distribution or trading of electricity.
- Hence charging of batteries of electric vehicles through charging station does not any require licence under the provision of the Electricity Act 2003.
- In the present scenario, the EVs make economic sense as their per km running cost is less than a rupee, whereas the same cost for petrol and diesel works out to an average of ₹6.50.
- The government’s National Electric Mobility Mission Plan launched in 2013 aims at ensuring 6-7 million electric and hybrid vehicles in India by 2020.
The vision enunciated two years ago is for India to have 100% EVs by 2030.
- Pulitzer Prizes 2018 announced
- The Pulitzer Prizes for 2018has been announced. Following are the winners of the Pulitzer Prize 2018.
Fiction- Andrew Sean Greer’s “Less” has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Greer’s novel tells the comic story of a middle-aged novelist.
2. Drama- Cost of Living, by Martyna Majok.
3. History- The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea, by Jack E. Davis (Liveright/W.W. Norton).
4. Biography- Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, by Caroline Fraser (Metropolitan Books).
5. Poetry- Half-light: Collected Poems 1965-2016, by Frank Bidart (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux).
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022