- CALF now a nat’l reference lab for milk
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has recognized CALF, a Anand-based laboratory of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) as a national reference laboratory (NRL) for dairy and dairy products.
- With FSSAI’s latest order, CALF has become the only NRL in the country for milk and milk products. CALF was so far a referral lab of FSSAI for milk and milk products for various analyses.
- The objective of NRL is to create a laboratory network at par with global food testing and research laboratories, which provide method development, method validation training and proficiency testing.
- CALF would work on harmonization and develop methods for routine testing processes to help in achieving higher level of confidence in comparability of results for taking suitable decisions by the stakeholders.
- As a NRL, CALF will be a knowledge and resource centre for information on analytical science in milk and milk products.
- London becomes world’s 1st city to launch 24×7 pollution charge zone
- London became the first city in the world to implement a special Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) that would
charge an entry fee for older vehicles if they do not meet the
- This move aims to reduce toxic air pollution and protect public health.
- The ULEZ will be operational for 24 hours and seven days a week.
- Polluting vehicles account for around 50 per cent of London’s
harmful Nitrogen Oxide air
- London’s famous red bus fleet is also being updated as part of these efforts, and all 9,200 vehicles will meet or exceed ULEZ standards by October 2020.
- National Safe Motherhood Day is celebrated on April 11
- National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD) is observed annually on 11 April to raise awareness about the proper
healthcare of women and maternity facilities to
pregnant and lactating women.
- The theme of 2019 NSMD is “Midwives for Mothers“.
- Last year’s NSMD theme was ‘Respectful Maternity Care’.
- This day also raise awareness for the prevention of child marriages, that may be an indirect cause of maternal deaths.
- This day is an initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance India
(WRAI) to provide women with various healthcare programs during pregnancy,
childbirth and post-natal services.
- This day is first celebrated in 2003.
- 11 April is the anniversary day of Kasturba Gandhi’s birth.
- India retained top spot as the worlds largest recipient of remittances in 2018
to the latest edition of World Bank’s Migration and Development Brief, India’s
remittance in 2018 stood at USD 79 billion.
- India was followed by China: 67$ billion.
- In 2016, India received $62.7 billion in remittances and in 2017 it was $65.3 billion.
grew by more than 14 percent in
India, where a flooding disaster in Kerala likely
boosted the financial help that migrants sent to families.
remittances, which include flows to high-income countries, reached USD 689 billion in 2018, up from USD 633 billion
to low-and middle-income countries reached a
record high of USD 529 billion in
2018, an increase of 9.6 percent over the previous record high of USD 483
billion in 2017.
- Reducing remittance costs to three per cent by 2030 is a global target under Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 10.7.
- IIT Madras bags No. 1 spot on NIRF and Atal Innovation rankings for 2019
- IIT Madras has been ranked
as the ‘Best Educational Institution‘
in the country in the latest edition of National Institutional Rankings
Framework (NIRF) 2019.
- The rankings was released by the Ministry of Human Resource Development
(MHRD), Government of India.
- IIT Madras also emerged as the ‘Top innovative Institution‘
in the country in the maiden edition of the Atal Ranking of Institutions on
Innovation Achievements (ARIIA), launched by the
Innovation Cell of MHRD in 2018, bagging the Rank number 1 in Government
- The rankings were announced by the President Ramnath Kovind.
NIRF Rankings 2019:
Top Engineering Institution in India 2019: Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
Top University in India 2019: Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
Top College of India 2019: Miranda House, Delhi
Top Architecture Institute in India: Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Top Law Institute in India: National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
Vellore Institute of Technology, Tamil Nadu, topped the Private or Self-financed Institutions category.
- The NIRF rankings was released for a total of 9 categories – Overall, Universities, Engineering, Colleges, Management, Pharmacy, Medical, Architecture, and Law.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022