- Gujarat MPs’ income third highest in country
- Members of Parliament (MPs) from Gujarat declared the third highest annual income in the country, an analysis of the affidavits submitted along with their election nominations in 2014 shows.
- The analysis, carried out by Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), showed that the average annual income of 24 MPs from Gujarat was Rs 59.5 lakh, nearly twice the average income of Rs 30.29 lakh of 479 MPs in the country. Forty-two MPs had not declared their income, and were not included in the analysis.
- Helium hydride ion, Universes first molecule detected in space
- Helium hydride ion (HeH+), the first molecule that formed almost 14
billion years ago, was detected by NASA’s flying observatory SOFIA towards a
It is the first type of molecule (first molecular bond) that formed in the universe after the Big Bang.
- At that time, ionised hydrogen and neutral helium
atoms reacted to form HeH+.
Once the universe cooled down, hydrogen atoms started to interact with helium hydride, creating molecular hydrogen, which set the stage for star formation.
From that point on, stars created the other elements of the cosmos.
Despite its importance in the history of the early Universe, HeH+ has so far escaped detection in astrophysical nebulae — cloud of gas and dust in outer space.
- Saudi Arabia increased India’s Haj Quota to 2 lakh
- Saudi Arabia has issued a formal order increasing the Haj quota for
India to two lakhs from one lakh seventy five-thousand.
In February this year, the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced that Indian Haj quota would be increased by 25 thousand to two lakhs.
This is the third hike in three consecutive years.
- The GST on Haj pilgrimage has been reduced from 18 per cent to 5 per cent this year, which will ensure that about Rs 113 crore will be saved by pilgrims during the 2019 Haj.
- Israel to name a new town in Golan after Trump
- Israel would name a new place in the Golan Heights after U.S. President Donald Trump.
- It will be named as an expression of gratitude for his recognition of its claim of sovereignty over the strategic plateau.
- Israel captured the Golan from Syria in a 1967 war and annexed it, in a move not recognized internationally.
- The United States broke with other world powers last month when Trump signed a decree recognizing Israeli sovereignty there.
- Reliance retail became 1st Indian retail company to cross Rs 1 lakh crore in annual revenues
- The retail venture of Reliance
Industries reported an income of Rs 1,30,556
crore for 2018-19, 89% more than
the previous year’s Rs 69,198 crore, the company.
Notably, Reliance Retail is the only Indian retailer to be in the top 100 global retailers list and the 6th fastest growing retailer globally as per the Global powers of retailing 2019, Deloitte.
- Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Retail also became the
first Indian retailer to cross more than 10,000 stores. It operates 10,415 retail
stores in more than 6,600 cities and towns, covering an area of over 22 million
sq ft, as on March 31.
For FY19, Reliance Retail added 81 new stores in the grocery consumption basket, taking the total count to 612 Reliance Fresh, SMART and Reliance Market stores as on March 31, 2019.
During the year, Reliance Retail opened 76 new Digital stores, 2,219 Jio stores. It operates more than 8,000 Digital and Jio stores as of March 31.
- Asian Athletics Championship concluded
- India bagged four medals, including a Gold, on the final day of the Asian Athletics Championships at Doha.
- India ended at the fourth spot in the medals tally with 3 Gold, 7 Silver and 7 Bronze.
- Bahrain topped the table with 11 Gold, 7 Silver and 4 Bronze.
- China was second with 10 Gold, 13 Silver and 7 Bronze.
- Govt. to include the regional language in the medicine labels
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare recently
recommended that government procurement agencies should take necessary steps in
the tendering process to include the regional language,
along with English in the medicine labels. The aim is to curb fake,
sub-standard and expired drugs. Initially, the proposal will be
implemented for Iron tablets and polio drops as they are the drugs most
commonly administered to children at government centres.
- The government is to set up an advisory
and a sub-committee which may co-opt the representatives
from the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry and Indian Pharmaceutical
Association for further deliberations on the overall issues related to
labelling requirements of drugs.
- The Health Ministry said that if the rollout is successful and the feedback encouraging, then the proposal could be extended to other medicines. The government has taken the step to ensure that those seeking drugs under government schemes have access to all the requisite information about them. The decision to incorporate regional languages was taken as per the advisory of the Drugs Technical Advisory Board (DTAB).
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022