- Gujarat spends Rs 12 per malnourished child
- This means 17% of the total malnourished kids in the state fall in the severely underweight category.
- As per details given by the state government, the presence of such malnourished children was highest in Narmada (3,410) and Dahod ( 2,405) followed by Sabarkantha (1,293) and Anand (1274). Narmada and Dahod also have the highest number of underweight children followed by Sabarkantha and Chhota Udepur.
- Bangladesh – Russia sign deal for a lifetime supply of Nuclear fuel
- Bangladesh signed a deal with Russia for the supply of uranium for its 2400 MW Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (RNPP).
- Under the deal, Russia will supply the nuclear fuel needed for the plant during its entire life cycle.
- Work on the two units of the plants, each producing 1200 MW of electricity is scheduled to be completed in 2022 and 2024 respectively.
- The two countries have also signed ‘spent fuel sent back’ agreement in 2017 for management of the nuclear waste of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (RNPP).
- India contributes USD 5 million to UN Palestine refugee agency
- India contributed USD 5 million to the UN Palestine refugee agency and called for ensuring sustained financial support for the organisation’s work.
- India increased its annual financial assistance to the UNRWA by four-fold, from USD 1.25 million to USD 5 million, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Palestine in February 2018, the first-ever visit by an Indian Premier to Ramallah.
- The UNRWA has been providing health, education, relief and social services, as well as emergency humanitarian assistance, across its five areas of operations in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank, and the Gaza Strip since 1950.
· National Handloom Day is observed on 7th August
- The National Handloom Day is observed on7th August every year. To mark the occasion, the nation holds a function at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi. The function will be presided by the Union Minister of Textiles and Women and Child Development, Smriti Zubin Irani. The Day is observed at Weavers’ Service Centres in different States.
- The main events are to be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Bhubaneswar has been chosen for its rich tradition of Handlooms.
· NSE and Singapore Exchange gets approval for its GIFT city project
- Centre approvedthe joint derivative project of India’s National Stock Exchange (NSE) and the Singapore Exchange (SGX) for their international financial centre in GIFT City at Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The project was proposed by NSE International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) and SGX Connect.Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT) is an initiative led by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The project plans to bring together the trading of Nifty products and boost the activities of GIFT City. It also seeks to create a larger pool ofThe project will be made operational before the end of 2020.
· Centre released e commerce guidelines for consumer protection
- The Department of Consumer Affairshas released draft guidelines on e-commerce titled ‘e-commerce guidelines for consumer protection 2019’.
- The draft aims to protect theinterest of online shoppers. It provides measures to prevent fraud, unfair trade practices and protect the legitimate rights and interests of consumers. It will be applicable to business-to-consumer e-commerce, including goods and services.
- The e-com firms should display terms of contract with the seller relating to return, refund, exchange, warranty/guarantee, delivery/shipment, mode of payments and grievance redressal mechanism to enable consumers to make informed decisions.
- Udaipur set to host India’s largest education Brainstorm
- The third edition of India’s largest education brainstorming event, the ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) will be held on August 09 and 10 in Udaipur- the City of Lakes.
- It will bring together over 500 educators to discuss the way towards establishing India as the next global education powerhouse.
- The theme for this year’s fest is ‘Education for Sustainability: Moving on from conformity to creativity’.
- Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passes away
- Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passed away in New Delhi.
- She was the first woman external affairs minister of India.
- The 67-year-old leader, who had served her fourth term in Lok Sabha had long been her party’s most prominent woman face.
- She was the youngest cabinet minister at 25 when she joined the Haryana government in 1977 and the first woman chief minister of Delhi.
- She was elected seven times as a member of parliament and three times as a member of the legislative assembly.
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022