- Surat selected for City Award category under 2018 India Smart Cities Award
- Under ‘India Smart Cities Award‘ 2018, Surat has been awarded for showcasing “great momentum” in the implementation of projects under the Smart Cities Mission.
- Joint winners in ‘Innovative Idea’category were Bhopal for its Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC) and Ahmedabad for Safe and Secure Ahmedabad (SASA) Project.
- Under ‘Social Aspects‘ category – NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council) and Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh) bagged the award for implementation of ‘smart classrooms’ project,
- Under ‘urban environment’category – Bhopal, Pune and Coimbatore bagged the award for public bike-sharing project.
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought: June 17
- The World Day to Combat Desertification (WDCD) is being celebrated worldwide on 17th June.
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year to promote public awareness of international efforts to combat desertification.
- Theme of WDCD 2018 is “Land has true value – invest in “.
- S. pips India as top greenfield FDI destination
- The U.S. has surpassed India to become the top destination for greenfield FDI investment in 2017, says a report.
- The number of greenfield FDI projects in India during the year fell sharply by 21% to 637, said the FDI Report 2018 compiled by FDI Intelligence.
- India had maintained the numero uno slot in greenfield FDI investment in 2015 and 2016.
· India is planning to gift a Dornier aircraft to Seychelles
- India plans to gift Seychelles a Dornier aircraft this month — second such aircraft that could be gifted to the Indian Ocean Region.
- An Indo-French-Seychelles trilateral cooperationmay safeguard India’s strategic interests in the key Indian Ocean country amid China’s growing interests in the region.
· UAE to grant free 48 hour transit visa at Dubai, Abu Dhabi
- The UAE government has decided that to grant free transit visas for first 48 hoursto transit passengers.
- This visa can be extended for up to 96 hours by paying 50 Dirham (about Rs 930).
· Nepal, China to sign pact on Tibet Kathmandu railway line during the visit of Nepal PM Oli
- Nepal Prime Minister K P Sharma Oli‘s will visit China from June 19 to 24.
- During this visit, Nepal will sign an MoU on constructing a railway line connecting Kerung of Tibet to Kathmandu.
- This will be the first visit to China by the Prime Minister since he assumed power in February.
· UK omits India from relaxed student visa rules
- UK announced a relaxation of the Tier 4 visa category for overseas students from 25
- However, India has been left out of this new expanded list, which means Indian students applying for similar courses will continue to face rigorous checks and documentary requirements.
- The changes, which come into effect on July 6, aim to make it easier for international students to come to study in the UK.
· China will impose further 25 percent tariffs on US imports in tit for tat move
- After the US imposed a 25% tariff on Chinese imports, China has announced its decision to impose further 25 percent tariffs on 659 American products worth $50 billion.
- China said it was “unwilling to have a trade war” with the US but was left with no choice due to the US’ “myopic behaviour”.
· Meghana becomes 1st woman IAF fighter pilot from south India
- Flying Officer Meghana Shanbough MR from Karnataka has become the first woman Indian Air Force fighter pilot from south India.
- Before her, only five other female fighter pilots have joined the ranks.
- She graduates from the Air Force Academy (AFA) in Dundigal.
- Fourth Governing Council Meeting of NITI Aayog Concludes
- The fourth meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog was held under the chairmanship of the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- It was attended by 23 Chief Ministers and the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman & Nicobar Islands, apart from Union Ministers, who are ex-officio members and special invitees.
- At the end of the day-long deliberations, the Prime Minister highlighted the importance of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog as a platform to inspire cooperative federalism.
· Indian Railways to issue Credit card like medical cards to employees, retirees
- The Railways has decided to replace the existing book-like medical cards issued to its employees and pensioners with credit card-like health cards carrying unique all-India number.
- At present, the medical cards issued by the zonal railways are in the form of booklets which resemble ration cards.
- Currently, railway has around 13 lakh employees and around the same number of pensioners and all their dependents are eligible to use the medical card.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022