- Gujarat bought Rs 14,400 crore power from private players in two years
ð The state government bought electricity for over Rs14,000 crore from private power producers in the last two years.
- The minister’s reply showed that the government purchased 27,884 million units of electricity from Essar Power, CLP India, Adani Power, ACB (India), and Coastal Gujarat Power (Tata Power) in 2017, and 20,532 MUs in 2018. The sharp dip in power purchase was due to Adani and other private players stopping power supplying to government units for some time during 2018.
- The government spent Rs7,975 crore for buying power from these companies in 2017, and Rs5,724 crore in 2018.
ð Daily power demand in the state was 316.8 million units, of which state-owned power generation units contributed 85.4 MUs.
- Maldives confers its highest civilian award on PM Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred with the Maldives’ highest civilian award, the ‘Order of the Distinguished Rule of Izzudeen’, by the President of the host country, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
- The award is in recognition of the many services Prime Minister Modi has offered to cement the longstanding and amicable ties between the two countries.
- Also for the magnanimous assistance that the Indian government continues to provide to the Maldives under his stewardship.
- Forex reserves increase by 1.8 billion to 421.8 billion
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves increased by USD 1.875 billion to USD 421.867 billion in the week ending May 31.
- Reserve Bank weekly data released showed that foreign currency assets, which is a major component of the overall reserves, rose by USD 1.946 billion to USD 394.134 billion.
- According to the RBI data, after remaining stable for the past few weeks, gold reserves declined by USD 62.9 million to USD 22.958 billion.
- Union Cabinet has approved the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Siddhi Scheme
- Union Cabinet has approved the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Siddhi It will cost over Rs.87,000 crore a year to the exchequer. The government has announced its decision to extend the benefit of Rs.6,000 per yearunder the PM-KISAN scheme to all 14.5 crore farmers in the country, irrespective of the size of their landholding.
- The scheme was launched on 24th February 2019in the run-up to the 2019 Parliamentary elections in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh where the first rounds of installments were paid to several farmers.
- The government so far distributed thefirst installment to 3.11 crore beneficiaries and second installment to 2.66 crore beneficiaries into their bank accounts through Direct Benefit Transfer mode.
- Bancha, the first solar kitchen only village in India
- Bancha in Betul district is the first village in India to have zero wooden stoves and almost no use for LPG cylinders with all its 75 houses relying on solar-powered stoves to meet their cooking needs.
- The project of installing solar power plates, batteries and stoves in all the 74 houses was started in September 2017 and got completed by December 2018.
- French Open 2019 Concludes
- The 123rd edition of the French Open took place at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France.
- The winners of the various categories are as follows:
- Men’s Singles: Rafael Nadal (Spain)
- Women’s Singles: Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
- Men’s Doubles: Kevin Krawietz (Germany) and Andreas Mies (Germany)
- Women’s Doubles: Tímea Babos (Hungary) and Kristina Mladenovic (France)
- Mixed Doubles: Latisha Chan (Chinese Taipei) and Ivan Dodig (Croatia)
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022