· Reliance Infra wins Rs 648 cr contract from AAI to build new airport at Rajkot, Gujarat
ð Reliance Infrastructure (RInfra) on Tuesday said the company has bagged a Rs 648 crore contract from the Airport Authority of India (AAI) to build a new airport at Hirasar, in Rajkot district of Gujarat. The new airport is being constructed near National Highway-8B connecting Ahmedabad and Rajkot, nearly 36 km from the existing Rajkot Airport.
ð The company said the scope of the EPC contract includes, construction of runway, turning pads, taxiways, apron, perimeter and other roads, drainage system, fire station, fire pit, cooling pit, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of airfield ground lighting system, visual aids for navigation and bird hazard reduction etc.
- WHO released the Global Influenza Strategy 2019-2030
- World Health Organization
(WHO) released a Global Influenza Strategy for 2019-2030 aimed at protecting
people in all countries from the threat of influenza, one of the world’s greatest
public health challenges.
- The aim of the strategy is to
prevent seasonal influenza, control the spread of influenza from animals to
humans, and prepare for the next influenza pandemic.
- Every year across the globe,
there are an estimated 1 billion cases, of which 3 to 5 million are severe
cases, resulting in 290000 to 650000 influenza-related respiratory deaths.
- WHO recommends annual
influenza vaccination as the most effective way to prevent influenza, which is
especially important for people at higher risk of serious influenza
complications and for health care workers.
- The new strategy is the most comprehensive and far-reaching that WHO has ever developed for influenza and it outlines a path to protect populations every year and helps prepare for a pandemic through strengthening routine programmes.
- For more than 65 years, the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS), comprised of WHO Collaborating Centres and national influenza centres, have worked together to monitor seasonal trends and potentially pandemic viruses and this system serves as the backbone of the global alert system for influenza.
- Japan announced Rs 22 lakh for Kolkata museum
- The Japanese government
announced a donation of some Rs 22 lakh ($31,800) to the Rabindra
Bharati Museum, Kolkata in a bid to strengthen historical
and cultural ties with India.
- Rabindranath Tagore, Asia’s first Nobel Prize recipient, visited Japan in 1916, 1924 and 1929, renewing relations between the countries as India’s leading cultural ambassador.
- World Consumer Rights Day 2019: 15 March 2019
- World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated every year on 15 March as part of an initiative by Consumer International, a membership organisation for consumer groups around the world.
- Theme: Trusted Smart Products
- The day is celebrated every year, to celebrate consumer rights and build a world where everyone has access to safe and sustainable products and services.
- World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by President John F Kennedy, who was the first leader in the world to address the issue of consumer rights in a special message sent to the US Congress on 15 March 1962.
- The United States to set up six nuclear power plants in India
- India and the US said they have agreed to build six American nuclear power plants in India, in a boost to bilateral civil nuclear energy cooperation.
- The two countries said this in a joint statement issued at the conclusion of the 9th round of India-US Strategic Security Dialogue.
- India and the US signed a historic agreement to cooperate in the civil nuclear energy sector in October 2008.
- The United States also reaffirmed its strong support to India’s early membership in the 48-member NSG.
- Geographical Indication (GI) tag granted to Coorg Arabica Coffee and 4 other varieties of Coffee by the Geographical Indications Registry
- Geographical Indication (GI) tags have been
granted to Coorg Arabica Coffee, Wayanad Robusta Coffee, Chikmagalur Arabica
Coffee, Araku Valley Arabica Coffee and Bababudangiris Arabica Coffee, by the
Geographical Indications Registry on 1st March 2019.
- Coorg Arabica Coffee is grown in Kodagu,
- Wayanad Robusta Coffee is grown in Wayanad,
- Chikmagalur Arabica Coffee and Bababudangiris Arabica Coffee are grown in Chikmagalur, Karnataka.
- West Bengal has maximum first-time voters in Lok Sabha polls
- According to Election Commission, West
Bengal has the maximum number of first-time
voters, around 20.1 lakh, in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
- WB is followed by Uttar Pradesh and Madhya
Pradesh, with around 16.7 lakh and 13.6 lakh first-time voters,
- The number of people eligible to vote has
reportedly increased by 8.4 crore as compared to 2014 General Elections.
- Over 1.5 crore voters are in the age group of 18-19 years. These “young voters” constitute 1.66 per cent of the total electors.
- Climate Vulnerability Index Highest For Assam And Mizoram
- Indian scientists have developed a common
framework for the assessment of climate change vulnerability in all the
states in the Himalayan region.
- The assessment shows that the vulnerability index is the highest for Assam (0.72) and Mizoram (0.71).
Sikkim is the least vulnerable state with the index being
Assam is highly vulnerable to climate change because of factors like low per capita income, deforestation, large number of marginal farmers, least area under irrigation, lack of alternative sources of income and high rates of poverty.
- Erode Turmeric received GI tag
- Erode Turmeric has finally received GI tag from the Geographical Indication Registry. Erode is the city in the state of Tamil Nadu. The product to acquire GI tag has to indicate that a product of a particular origin has a certain quality or reputation or some other characteristics, which is essentially attributable to its geographical origin.
- Erode Turmeric is golden yellow in colour with resistance
to pests after boiling
- Erode turmeric contains 2.5 to 4.5%
of curcumin content
- Erode Turmeric is grown in hot moist conditions prevalent in the area with temperature ranging from 20 degrees to 37.9 degrees Celsius with an average of 600 to 800 mm rainfall in a year
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022