- HC seeks affidavit on publicity of VVPAT use
- Gujarat high court asked the election authorities to submit an affidavit stating what steps it had taken to create awareness among voters about the newly-introduced facilities such as Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) as well as Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) and the provision for the option, None of the Above (NOTA).
- Advocate Koshti submitted that the purpose behind introduction of electronic gadgets is to restore voter confidence along with the greatest transparency in the election process. But voters should be made aware of the gadgets.
- The petitioner has sought implementation of guidelines and instructions issued by the Election Commission (EC) of India to all state election commissions for making people informed about the VVPAT.
- Since the technology is going to be introduced for the first time in Gujarat, EC has asked all district election officers for organizing a demonstration of VVPAT system for political parties, election officials as well as for electorate.
· India Re-elected Member of UNESCO Executive Board
- India re-elected as the member of the UNESCO’sexecutive board, its top decision-making body.
- The election was held at the 39th sessionof the General Conference of the UNESCO in Paris, France.
- The General Conference consists of the representatives of the States Members of the organization.
Each country has one vote, irrespective of its size or the extent of its contribution to the budget.
· Uber joins forces with NASA to develop flying taxis
- Uber unveiled a partnership with NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) to develop flying taxis priced competitively with standard Uber journeys.
- The first demonstration flights are expected in 2020 and will move into commercial operations by 2023, with plenty of time for the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.
- An Uber Air journey would take three times less time than the same journey by car.
- Modi, Hasina, Mamata flag-off Kolkata-Khulna train service
- A new passenger train service between Kolkata and Bangladesh’s southwestern industrial city of Khulna was flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina and the West Bengal chief minister.
- A fully air-conditioned weekly passenger train service ‘Bandhan Express’ will run every Thursday from both Kolkata and Khulna.
- On the occasion, Modi said the ties of friendship between India and Bangladesh have further strengthened.
- ‘Suno RBI Kya Kehta Hai’ campaign against fake offers soon
- The Reserve Bank will soon launch an awareness campaign – Suno RBI Kya Kehta Hai – through SMSes to warn the public against falling prey to unsolicited and fictitious offers from fraudsters.
- The drive comes amid rising instances of fraudsters trying to dupe gullible customers by promising them lucrative financial gains and prize money through e-mails and SMSes, and even through phone calls.
- The cautionary messages will be sent from ‘RBISAY’ sender ID.
- Union minister Alphons elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha
- Union Minister of State for Tourism and BJP leader Alphons Kannanthanam was elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan.
- The seat fell vacant after M Venkaiah Naidu s election as the country’s vice president on August 5.
- Secretary of the legislative assembly Prithvi Raj said Kannanthanam was elected unopposed as no other nomination was filed for the seat.
· PayPal Launches Domestic Payments in India
- American digital payments company PayPallaunched domestic operations in India.
- At launch, Indian consumers will be able to make transactions at select online merchants.
- Merchants offering PayPal will be able to process both local and global payments through the platform getting access to PayPal’s more than 200 million customers around the world and in India through a single integration.
· IRDA makes linking of Aadhaar with insurance policy mandatory
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA)announced that linking of Aadhaar number to insurance policies is now a mandatory requirement under Prevention of Money-laundering (Maintenance of Records) Second Amendment Rules, 2017.
- This norm of linking Aadhaar number to insurance policies will apply to new customers as well as existing policyholders.
- Besides, it will apply not only to life insurance policies but also to general insurance policies.
- Insurance industry experts believe that this norm will be helpful during claims settlement.
· Dubai based Emirates NBD bank begins operations in India
- United Arab Emirates (UAE’s) second largest bank, Emirates NBD started operations in India by opening a branch in Mumbai.
- Plan to invest USD 100 million capital into its Indian operations over a period of time.
- The Mumbai branch is Emirates NBD’s fifth international branch outside of its UAE.
Emirates NBD’s Mumbai branch will offer a range of services to corporate, institutional clients and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022