• Benami Transactions In India: Gujarat Accounts For 26% Of Cases, But Less Than 1% Of Recovery
Gujarat accounts for 26% of benami transactions under scrutiny in India but less than 1 per cent of money recovered after prosecution by the Income Tax Department. Out of 517 cases under scrutiny since November 8 last year, 135 are in Gujarat. Tax evaders use benami transactions to hide their identity by operating a bank account, or buying a property, in someone else’s name. Ironically, of the Rs 1,883 crore worth of properties and bank accounts attached across India till November 6, 2017, Gujarat accounted for the lowest recovery of Rs 14 crore or just 0.74% of the total.
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World Diabetes Day is the primary global awareness campaign focusing on diabetes mellitus and is observed on November 14 each year.
- Led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), each World Diabetes Day focuses on a theme related to diabetes.
- Type 2 Diabetes is largely preventable and treatable non-communicable disease that is rapidly increasing in numbers worldwide.
- Type 1 Diabetes is not preventable but can be treated with insulin shots.
- This year’s theme is ‘Women and diabetes – our right to a healthy future’.
· United Nations hosts first talks on use of killer robots in Geneva
- United Nationsis set to open its first official talks on the use of autonomous weapons, including killer robots, at the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW) for 5 days, in Geneva.
- The meeting is chaired by Indian ambassador on disarmament, Amandeep Gill.
- The discussion will also include civil society and technology companies.
- It will be partly focused on understanding the types of weapons in the pipeline.
- Northeast to get India’s first ever ‘Air Dispensary’
- Northeast is all set to get India’s first-ever “Air Dispensary” based in a helicopter and the Union Ministry of Development of Northeast (DONER) has already contributed Rs. 25 crore as part of the initial funding for this initiative.
- Both of these cities have premier postgraduate medical institutes from where specialist doctors, along with the necessary equipment and paramedical staff, would be able to move into the helicopter and hold a dispensary/OPD in different locations across the eight States of North Eastern Region.
· Dantewada hosts India 1st Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit
- To inspire, nurture and promote the spirit of entrepreneurship in tribal youth, the NITI Aayog in partnership with the US government organized India’s first Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit at Dantewada.
- The summit is inaugurated by MoS Science and Technology YS Chowdhary held at Dantewada in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh.
- This event is an 8th Global Entrepreneurship Summit, being held in India which ensures yet another step towards tribal-centric sustainable and inclusive development.
· Rajyavardhan Rathore releases the India Youth Development Index and Report 2017
- Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (Independent Charge), Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore released the ‘India Youth Development Index and Report 2017’in New Delhi.
- In India Youth Development Index 2017, the five dimensions of Global Youth Development Index (Global YDI) have been retained.
- These five dimensions are education, health and well-being, employment and opportunity, political participation and civic participation for young people.
- Rice Field laboratory in Manila named after PM Modi
- While on his visit to Philippines, PM Narendra Modi visited the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos, Philippines and inaugurated ‘Shri Narendra Modi Resilient Rice Field Laboratory’.
- He also presented two Indian rice seed varieties to the IRRI gene bank.
- IRRI is a premier research organisation dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science.
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022