- Gujarat leads in disposing 10-yr-old cases
- Courts in five districts of the state disposed-off maximum number of cases last month which were more than 10 years old.
- In Octovber, 35,289 cases were disposed by all courts in the country. Of these, courts in Gujarat settled 8,974 courts, which is the highest in the country followed by Uttar Pradesh which cleared 7,118 cases, Rajasthan 4,226 cases and Maharashtra with 3,411 cases.
- In Gujarat, 14 court complexes in Vadodara district disposed 1,387 cases which is highest in the country followed by Ahmedabad, Surat, Panchmahal and Dahod districts. Interestingly, Vadodara district’s courts had topped in the country in settling decade-old cases in January and March too this year.
- Uhuru Kenyatta sworn in as Kenyan president for second term
- Uhuru Kenyatta was sworn in as president of Kenya following two disputed polls and waves of deadly protests.
- The official results, published on 11 August, give Kenyatta 54.27 percent to Odinga’s 44.74 percent.
- A fresh election is held on 26 October after protest, with Kenyatta winning 98 percent of the vote as Odinga’s call for a boycott is held.
· Victoria becomes first Australian state to legalise euthanasia
- Victoria became the first Australian state to legalise assisted dying, or euthanasia, as lawmakers voted to allow terminally ill patients the right to request a lethal drug to end their lives from June 2019.
- The legislation was passed in Victoria after 100 hours of debate, making it the only place in Australia where the practice will be legal.
- The scheme will be accessible only to terminally ill patients over 18 living in Victoria with less than six months to live.
- That applying must be determined by multiple doctors to be suffering intolerable pain and be of sound mind
· Skill India partners with Airbnb to Upskill hospitality Entrepreneurs
- The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship’s implementationarm National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and the Tourism and Hospitality Sector Skill Council (THSC) signed a tripartite a MoU with Airbnb to provide hospitality skills training to hospitality micro-entrepreneurs in India.
- Through the partnership, the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Airbnb, NSDC and THSC will work together to create an accredited skill development module for hospitality entrepreneurs offering homestay facilities, unique accommodations and local experiences.
· West Bengal to get World Bank subsidy to buy 130 electric buses
- West Bengal State Transport Minister Suvendu Adhikarimentioned that the state government has negotiated with the World Bank to avail subsidy to buy 130 electric buses.
- World Bank has agreed to provide a subsidy of Rs seven lakh per bus.
- Out of the 130 electric buses, 100 would operate in Kolkata and the remaining 30 will operate in industrial towns of Durgapur and Asansol.
- Bus depots in these towns are equipped with charging batteries. The electric buses would run 150 km on a single charge.
· DAC approves procurement of new radio technology for Indian Navy
- The Union Defence Ministry approved procurement of 260 Software Defined Radios (SDR), naval communication sets for Indian Navy at cost of Rs. 49.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- These 260 SDRs will be procured under the category of buy (India Designed Developed & Manufactured).
· Mirabai Chanu lifts 194 kgs to win gold medal at 2017 World Weightlifting Championships
- Mirabai Chanu became only the second Indian (after Karnam Malleswari) to win the gold medalat the World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, USA.
- After achieving the feat Chanu was left in tears as he went up to the podium to collect her medal.
- Since last year’s mediocre performance at the Rio Olympics Chanu put in a lot of effort in her game and is deservedly reaping the benefits.
· Odisha Chief Minister unveils logo and mascot of Hockey World Cup 2018
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaikunveiled the logo and mascot for the Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
- He also launched the countdown timer for the international event scheduled to be held here from November 28 to December 16, 2018.
- He gave away cash awards worth Rs 76.75 lakh to 59 sportspersons from the state for their outstanding contributions in their respective sports.
- Hockey players Dipsan Tirkey, Amit Rohidas, Sunita Lakra, Deep Grace Ekka, Namita Toppo and Rashmita Minz were given a cash prize of Rs 7.5 lakh each.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022