- Gujarat’s POCSO conviction rate second lowest in the country
- Barring the Union territories and Arunachal Pradesh, among the bigger states, Gujarat has a conviction rate of just 0.5% when it comes to the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
- According to the Union government, in terms of the number of cases registered under POCSO, the state ranked 16th in 2014, with only 613 cases. In 2015, it was sixth with 1,609 cases and in 2016, Gujarat ranked 12th with 1,408 cases.
- World Students’ Day: 15 October
- World Students’ Day is observed to mark the birthday of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. It is observed on Kalam’s birthday, 15 October.
- In 2015 the United Nations declared 15 October “World Students’ Day”.
- Kalam was the 11th president of India.
· Air Quality Early Warning System for Delhi launched
- Air Quality Early Warning System for Delhi was launched in Delhi by the Union Minister for Earth Sciences and Environment, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The System is designed to predict extreme air pollution events and give alerts to take necessary steps as per Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP) of the Government of India.
- The air pollution system has been developed jointly by the scientists at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, India Meteorological Department and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF).
· Government launches award scheme under ‘Saubhagya’
- Awards would be provided for achieving 100 per cent household electrification at DISCOM/Power Department level of the States.
- Eight States which have already achieved more than 99 per cent household electrification prior to launch of Saubhagya (Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Goa, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Punjab and Tamil Nadu), are ineligible for participation under the award scheme. All the remaining States and their Discoms are eligible for the award.
· Drought conditions in 1/3rd of districts
- The June-september monsoon, which was 9% below normal, has caused drought-like conditions in almost a third of the districts in India, putting farmers in these high-deficiency areas under stress, data from the India Meteorological Department and reports from states showed. Over 200 districts received below-average rainfall this year.
- Ahead of a general election next year, rural distress will likely keep the Modi government under pressure from farmers already battling higher cultivation costs, pricier diesel needed to run farm equipment and poor returns due to a slump in commodity prices.
· Centre is to set up a committee to deal issues raised by Metoo India movement
- Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhiannounced that the Centre is to set up a committee of judges and lawyers to examine the existing legal and institutional framework. The committee is to deal with complaints of sexual harassment at the workplace that are emanating from the#MeTooIndia movement.
- The move comes even as the government is yet to make a statement on allegations by several women journalists against Minister of State for External Affairs J. Akbar.
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022