- Gujarat is India’s top plastic exporter
- Amid efforts to restrict consumption of single-use plastic in the country, plastic exports from Gujarat surged by 33% to US $3.6 billion (approximately Rs 25,509 crore) in fiscal 2018-19 from US$ 2.7 billion (Rs 19,132 crore considering the dollar value at Rs 70.86) in 2017-18. Gujarat is a leader in plastic exports from India with a lion’s share of 45% in the national exports, says a report by Drip Capital, a US-based fintech company.
- Exports of plastics from Gujarat have grown at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15% over the last four fiscals.
- According to the report, 60% of India’s total exports come from Gujarat and Maharashtra, which are followed by Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and the Union territories of Daman and Diu as well as Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- Gujarat’s constant domination of the country’s plastic exports is driven by multiple factors — lower manufacturing costs, presence of large-scale trading hubs like the Mundra Special Economic Zone (SEZ), and high incentives, to name a few.
- Almost 65% of these exports come from MSMEs, which constitute 90% of all plastic exporters in India. Being the 17th largest plastic exporter in the world, India exported US$8 billion worth plastic goods in the financial year 2019. In the last three years, India’s plastics exports have risen at a CAGR of 11%, and is estimated to reach US $25 billion in trade by fiscal 2025.
- ADB sharply cuts India’s GDP growth forecast to 6.5% for FY20
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) on sharply cut India’s growth forecast to 6.5 per cent for the current fiscal, weighed down by the GDP growth rate dipping to a six-year low in the first quarter.
- In its supplement to the ADO in July, the Manila-headquartered multi-lateral funding agency cut the country’s GDP growth estimate to 7 per cent for 2019-20 on the back of fiscal shortfall concerns.
- Abrupt declines in manufacturing and investment reflect uncertainty ahead of general elections, subdued lending by banks and other financial institutions, the stress in the rural economy, and a weakening external outlook.
- Japan launches ‘World’s Biggest Transport SpaceShip’ for Space Station
- Japan launched an unmanned spacecraft towards the International Space Station after a fire early this month delayed the mission.
- The H-2B rocket lifted off at 1:05 am local time (1605 GMT) with cargo vessel Kounotori8.
- The launch took place from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s Tanegashima Space Center in southwestern Japan.
- Kounotori8, meaning “white stork” in Japanese, intends to deliver about 5.3 tonnes of supplies to astronauts at the ISS, including fresh food and water as well as batteries and devices needed for experiments.
- Centre institutes national unity award named after Sardar Patel
- The Centre has instituted the highest civilian award for contribution to the unity and integrity of India, in the name of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The award seeks to recognize notable and inspiring contributions to promote the cause of national unity and integrity and to reinforce the value of a strong and united India.
- The award will be announced on the occasion of the National Unity Day on the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel on 31st of October.
- The award will be conferred by the President by a Sanad under his hand and seal and presented by him in a presentation ceremony along with the Padma award presentation ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- The award would consist of a medal and a citation.
- No monetary grant or cash award would be attached to this Award.
- Prime Minister Modi receives ‘Global Goalkeeper’ award for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi was conferred the “Global Goalkeeper” award by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan launched by his government.
- Mr Modi dedicated the award to those Indians who transformed the Swachh Bharat campaign into a ‘people’s movement’ and accorded topmost priority to cleanliness in their day-to-day lives.
- The campaign has not only improved the lives of crores of Indians, but it has also played a significant role in achieving the goals set by the UN.
- The cleanliness campaign was launched by the Modi government during its first term on October 2, 2014.
- J&K becomes the first state to issue the highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat scheme
- Jammu and Kashmir have become the first state in the country to issue the highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).
- Over 11 lakh golden cards have been generated within the first 90 days of the launch of the scheme with 60% of families having at least one golden card which is highest in the country.
- The CEO informed that claims amounting to around 14 crore rupees have been settled till date and state is registering phenomenal progress under the scheme.
- Adam Harper won bags SASTRA-Ramanujan Prize
- The 2019 Sastra-Ramanujan Prize will be awarded to number theorist Adam Harper of the University of Warwick, England.
- This annual prize is given to honour outstanding contributions by individuals not exceeding age of 32 in areas of mathematics, influenced by Indian mathematician Ramanujan.
- The prize, which includes a cash award of USD 10,000 and a citation, will be awarded at the international conference on number theory scheduled for December 22 (Ramanujan’s birthday).
· IAAF honoured the Indian legend PT Usha
- International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) honoured the former Indian athlete and OlympianPT Ushawith the prestigious IAAF Veteran Pin Award. Usha received the award from the IAAF president Sebastian Coe at the 52nd IAAF conference in Doha. IAAF Veteran Pin Award recognizes the efforts of the players who have made matchless contributions to athletics.
- She is nicknamed as Payyoli Expres. In 1985, She won five gold medals at the Asian Games in Jakarta. She was awarded the prestigiousArjuna Awardin 1983. In 1985, she received the Padma Shri Award.
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022