MSU placed among top 100 universities
MS University got some breather this year as it featured among the top 100 universities of the country in the list of National Institute of Ranking Framework (NIRF) declared by the union ministry of education.
For the last two years, MSU featured in the university rank band of 101 to 150 and before that it was not even among the top 200. However, this year the university is ranked 90th with a score of 39.48. MSU’s best ranking has been 76th position when the rankings were declared for the first time in 2016.
This year, Gujarat University has been ranked best from the state at 43rd position and Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) at 73rd position. In the overall ranking this year, MSU and PDPU continues to be in the rank band of 101 to 150.
The NIRF rankings were released for a total of 10 categories – overall, universities, engineering, management, pharmacy, college, medical, law, architecture, dental and research.
Like every year, MSU’s pharmacy faculty has made it to top-50 securing 24th position. Last year, it was at 14th position. Faculty of Technology and Engineering has also featured at 117th position out of 1,147 institutes adjudged.
Sri Lankan Economic Crisis- Crucial factors
Government of Sri Lanka declared an economic emergency in last week of August 2021 because of rising food prices, depreciating currency, and depleting forex reserves.
President of Sri Lanka, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, called in the army to manage this crisis by rationing the supply of essential goods.
Factors that led to the current economic crisis in Sri Lanka include:
- Tourism industry in Sri Lanka has hit hard because of covid-19 pandemic. It represents more than 10% of the its Gross Domestic Product and brings in huge foreign exchange.
- Thus, forex reserves have decreased to$2.8 billion in July 2021 from over $7.5 billion in 2019.
- As the foreign exchange supply is decreasing, amount of money that Sri Lankans was having to shell out to purchase the foreign exchange has increased. This, value of Sri Lankan rupee has depreciated by 8%.
- As Sri Lanka depends on imports to meet the basic food supplies, the price of food items there has increased in line with depreciating rupee.
India’s 1st Emergency Landing Facility on National Highway in Rajasthan
Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh and Union Highways Minister, Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Emergency Landing Facility on a National Highway in Rajasthan on September 9, 2021.
- This emergency landing facility has been constructed on the Satta-Gandhav stretch of National Highway (NH) 925A in Barmer, Rajasthan.
- On the occasion, C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft of Indian Air Force (IAF) landed at the emergency field landing at the National Highway in Jalore, Rajasthan.
- This is the first time; a National Highway will be used for emergency landing of IAF aircraft.
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) developed a three kilometres section of the Satta-Gandhav stretch on NH-925A, under the supervision of IAF.
Total length of the highway is 196.97 kilometres, while the length of emergency landing facility is 3.5km. It costs worth Rs 765.52 crores under the Bharatmala Pariyojana. It was completed in 19 months.
This facility will be used for road traffic flow on every day basis. However, during the operations of IAF, it will be used to facilitate the landing of all types of aircraft of IAF. It will improve the connectivity between villages of Jalore and Barmer districts in Rajasthan.
Centre approves ₹10,683 crore PLI scheme for Textile Sector
Central government has approved the production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme of worth Rs 10,683 crore for the textiles sector.
- This PLI scheme was approved in order to boost domestic manufacturing and exports.
- Scheme will help in creating direct additional employment of more than 7.5 lakh people and several supporting activities.
- As a part of incentives approved for textiles sector, the payout will be spread over a period of five years.
- PLI scheme was approved for textiles, MMF (man-made fibre) fabrics, MMF apparel and 10 segments or products of technical textiles.
Significance of the scheme
- This scheme will help in production of high-value MMF fabric, garments, and technical textiles in India.
- It will also result in a fresh investment of more than Rs.19,000 crore, and a cumulative turnover of over Rs.3 lakh crore, over a period of five years.
- Scheme prioritise investment in aspirational districts, tier 3, tier 4 towns as well as rural areas.
- As textiles industry employs women, scheme will encourage women and increase their participation in formal economy.
This PLI scheme will impact and benefit special states including Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Odisha.
This production-linked incentive scheme for textiles is a part of overall scheme that was announced for 13 sectors during Budget 2021-22, with an outlay of Rs 1.97 lakh crore. With the PLI schemes for 13 sectors, minimum production in India is expected to be around Rs 37.5 lakh crore in a period of five years.
Suhas Yathiraj: 1st IAS officer to win Paralympics medal
Suhas Lalinakere Yathiraj, current district magistrate of Noida, has become the first IAS officer to win Paralympics medal.
- He ended his campaign with the winning of historic silver.
- He lost gold to top seed Lucas Mazur of France in the men’s singles SL4 class final at the Tokyo Paralympics on September 5.
- Mazur has also won three gold medals in European Championships, in the qualifying group A match. But India made a tremendous effort in the final to challenge him.
India made its first appearance at the Paralympics in 1968. In total, India had won 12 medals till 2016 Rio edition. India now improved upon the entire number by 7 medals at the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics alone. India have finished at 24th position out of 162 nations in terms of overall medal tally.
GPSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for GPSC Prelims and GPSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by GPSC Notes are as follows:-
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022