- Gujarat’s debt nearly doubles in five years to Rs 2.17 trillion
- According to the revised estimates of the financial year (FY) 2017-18, the public debt under the Gujarat government has doubled from ______ to Rs 2.17 trillion. This means the state has borrowed an almost double amount in the last five years.
- The government had received Rs 15,493 crore loan from the open market in FY 2013-14. As per the revised estimates, the same has reached to Rs 28,000 crore in the FY 2017-18. The loans were taken at different interest rates ranging between 6.68 per cent to 9.75 per cent for term of two years to 15 years.
- The state received loans of Rs 15,493 crore in 2013-14; Rs 14,920 crore; Rs 16,260 crore; Rs 24,720 crore and Rs 28,000 crore in consecutive years till 2017-18.
- The government repaid Rs 6,204 crore as actual and Rs 11,916 crore as interest in the FY 2013-14; Rs 5,509 crore as actual and Rs 13,061 crore as interest in 2014-15; Rs 6,194 crore as actual; Rs 14,456 crore as interest in 2015-16, Rs 9,073 crore as actual; Rs 16,087 crore as interest in 2016-17, Rs. 13,701 crore as actual and Rs. 17,178 crore as interest in 2017-18.
- World Tourism Day: 27 September
- United Nations World Tourism Organization has been celebrated World Tourism Day as international observances on September 27 since 1980.
- This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted.
- The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- The theme of the day in 2018 is “Tourism and the Digital Transformation”.
· India ranks 96th on Economic Freedom Index; Hong Kong, Singapore retain top spot
- As per the 2018 report on Economic Freedom in the World, released by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute, India stands at 96th rank out of 162 countries in economic freedom. Last year, India’s rank was 98.
- Hong Kongand Singapore again topped the index ranking first and second
- The other countries in the top 10 were: New Zealand, Switzerland, Ireland, the US, Georgia, Mauritius, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada (tied for 10th) respectively.
- PM Modi gets UN’s ‘Champions of the Earth’ award
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded with the UN’s highest environmental honour, bestowed upon five other individuals and organisations, for his leadership of the International Solar Alliance and pledge to eliminate single use plastic in India by 2022.
- Six of the world’s most outstanding environmental changemakers have been recognised with the Champions of the Earth Award, the UN’s highest environmental honour.
· IISc Bangalore named India’s Best University in Times World University rankings 2019
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore has been named the top Indian institute for the fifthstraight year in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and was placed in the 251-300 bracket.
- IIT Indore(351-400) was placed second, ahead of IIT Bombay and IIT Roorkee.
- Globally, Oxford Universitycontinues to hold the first place, followed by Cambridge, Stanford, and MIT.
· Indian railways to launch Smart coaches
- TheIndian Railways is set to launch the ‘Make in India’ Smart coaches. The smart coaches have several new features like black box and artificial intelligence (AI)-powered CCTVs, matching international standards, Wi-Fi hotspot information system.
- The coaches have been equipped with sensors that can detect defects on bearings, wheels, and the railway track and gives constant inputs to those in the control room to avoid accidents, carry out maintenance, and to improve the efficiency of operations. A water-level indicator technology to know whether the water in the coach is sufficient and when it needs to be filled is also available.
The maiden smart coach was unveiled at the Modern Coach Factory in Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh as part of launching 100 such trains in a pilot project to improve the safety and security of commuters and to boost efficiency.
· Centre approves ₹8,606 crore for border infra and management
- The Centre has approved ₹8,606 crore for 60 projects being implemented under the umbrella scheme of Border Infrastructure and Management (BIM) to meet special development needs of people living in those areas.
- The umbrella scheme Border Infrastructure and Management containing 60 projects and with an outlay of ₹8,606 crore has been approved, a home ministry official said.
- The projects are implemented in 111 border districts to meet special development needs of border population with focus on people living within 50 kms of the international border.
- India shares borders with Pakistan (3,323 km), China (3,488 km), Nepal (1,751 km), Bhutan (699 km), Myanmar (1,643 km) and Bangladesh (4,096 km).
· Desi Astra missile test successful
- A pre-induction trial of India’s indigenously developed beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) ‘Astra’ was successfully conducted on Wednesday over Bay of Bengal near Chandipur in Odisha,
- The missile was fired from a fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force in the afternoon and targeted an unmanned aerial vehicle ‘Banshi’ which it successfully engaged.
· Rajni Kant Mishra is appointed as the new chief of BSF
- The government appointed Rajni Kant Mishraas the Director-General of Border Security Force (BSF) in the place of K.K. Sharma. He is a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre.
- Mishra is currently the head of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). He is to head the BSF till August 31, 2019. Special D-G (BSF) S.S.Deswal, will replace Mr.Mishra in SSB.
· Anil Khosla appointed as new Vice Chief of Indian Air Force
- Eastern Air Command chief Anil Khosla will take over as the new vice chief of the Indian Air Force (IAF) with Air Marshal SB Deoset to retire.
- According to other approved postings by the Indian Air force, new Deputy Chiefof Air Force will be Air Marshal VR Chaudhari, New DG of Air operations’ post went to Air Marshal Amit Deo.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022