- Gujarat ranks 5th in electoral bonds sale
- Gujarat ranked fifth in the number of electoral bonds being issued across the country. An RTI filed with the State Bank of India (SBI), the only bank authorised to issued electoral bonds, found that in the year 2018, Rs18 crore worth of electoral bonds was bought from the SBI branch in Gandhinagar.
- It should be noted that only one branch of SBI in each state is authorised to issue these bonds. In the year 2019, the number of electoral bonds being issued for just two months of January and March rose by four times touching Rs 73.5 crores.
- Mumbai topped the list, with bonds worth Rs 495 crores issued for the months of January and March, while it was Rs 382 crore for the year 2018. Mumbai was followed by New Delhi (Rs 147 crore and Rs 205 crore respectively for the year 2018 and 2019) and Kolkata (Rs 231 crore and Rs 370 crore for the two years) Chennai came fourth followed by Gandhinagar.
- Overall Rs1056 crore worth of bonds were issued across the country in 2018 while t was Rs1716 crore for the two months of 2019.
- SpaceX to fly its DART planetary defence mission
- NASA announced that SpaceX will fly its Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) planetary-defencemission. The total launch cost for NASA is estimated to be about $69 million.
- DART – Double Asteroid Redirection Test
- It is a planned space probe that will demonstrate the kinetic effects of crashing an impactor spacecraft into an asteroid moon for planetary defense purposes. The mission is intended to test whether a spacecraft impact could successfully deflect an asteroid on a collision course with Earth.
- Bhopal gas tragedy among the world’s major industrial accidents of the 20th century: UN
- The 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy which killed thousands of people is among the world’s “major industrial accidents” of the 20th century according to a UN report.
- UN warned that 2.78 million workers die from occupational accidents and work-related diseases each year.
- The report released by the UN labour agency International Labour Organization (ILO) said that in 1984, at least 30 tons of methyl isocyanate gas, which was released from the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, affected over 600,000 workers and nearby inhabitants.
- The report titled ‘The Safety and Health at the Heart of the Future of Work – Building on 100 years of experience’ said the Bhopal disaster was among the world’s “major industrial accidents after 1919”.
- GSLV phase-4 programme got Cabinet nod
- The Union Cabinet approved continuation of the
ongoing Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV)
programme phase-4 consisting of five rocket
flights during 2021-2024.
- GSLV programme phase-4:
- The phase four will enable the launch of two-tonne class
of satellites for geo-imaging, navigation, data relay communication and space
The total fund required for GSLV phase four completion has been pegged at Rs 2729.13 crore.
- This fund includes the cost of five
Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicles (GSLVs), essential facility
augmentation, programme management, and launch campaign, along with the
additional funds required for meeting the scope of the ongoing programme.
- The GSLV continuation programme was initially sanctioned
and two phases have been completed and the third phase is
in progress and expected to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2020-21.
- GSLV Phase 4 continuation programme will meet the
launch requirement of satellites for providing critical satellite navigation
services, data relay communication for supporting the Indian human spaceflight
programme and the next interplanetary mission to Mars.
- It will also ensure the continuity of production in Indian industry. It will also meet the demand for the launch of satellites at a frequency up to two launches per year.
- ECI launches Voter Turnout App
- Election Commission of India (ECI) launched a new mobile app for the voters across
the country to see the realtime availability of voter turnout during the
election season in the country.
- The beta version of the ECI’s Voter Turnout app
is available for download on the Google Play Store and as of now it has been
downloaded over 5,000 times.
The captures the real-time information gathered by the Returning Officers following which it calculates the estimated totals.
- PAN-India Single Emergency Helpline Number 112 joined by 20 states
- So far the number of states and Union territories
that have joined a pan-India network of single emergency helpline number ‘112’
amounts to 20.
- The 20 states and UTs include Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Puducherry, Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Jammu and Kashmir and Nagaland.
- The Emergency Response Support System (ERSS)
envisages a single pan-India emergency number ‘112’ that is internationally
recognised to target all types of emergencies.
- The helpline, ‘112’ is an integration of police (100), fire (101) and women (1090) helpline numbers and the project is being implemented under the central government’s Nirbhaya Fund (2012 Delhi gangrape case).
Nirbhaya Fund was set up by the central government for projects specifically
designed to improve the safety and security of the women.
The single number for emergency services is similar to ‘911’ in the United States.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022