- Fishing harbours coming up across India under Sagarmala project
- Union ministry of shipping is expending Rs 4142 crore on development of 28 fishing harbours across India under the Sagarmala programme, minister for road transport and highways and shipping Nitin Gadkari said. These include four in Karnataka, six in Maharashtra, three in Gujarat, two in Odisha, five in Andhra Pradesh, two in Kerala and one in Goa. These projects will propel fishing activity in these regions.
- The Kulai harbour on completion in May 2022 will provide direct employment opportunities to 2300 fishermen and generate 1700 onshore employment opportunities, he said, adding it will also provide indirect employment opportunities to 4500 other people through host of activities that the harbour will spur. Harbour will provide shelter to 120 trawlers of 12 metre length, 110 trawlers of 18m length and 45 purseine boats of 18m length.
- Facebook launched Facebook Hubs to aid start ups
- Facebook launched ‘Facebook Hubs’ at 20 locations in India to support the start-up ecosystem in the country. These hubs will help foster innovation and support for the community by hosting mentor hours and trainings, workshops, roundtable discussions. The company has partnered with co-working company 91springboard. These hubs will be part of a global network for training and mentoring facilities for start-ups, among others.
- World Kidney Day: 14 March 2019
- The World Kidney Day 2019 is being observed on March 14, 2019.
- This Day is observed annually on the second Thursday in March
- It aims to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys.
- Theme: ‘Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere’.
- As per the World Health Organisation, kidney diseases are responsible for almost 1.5 per cent of the current global burden of disease and for 2.1 per cent of the total deaths.
- It is the 12th leading cause of death globally.
- ECI to launch cVIGIL on 18th March
- Election Commission of Indiahas developed cVIGIL, a
mobile app, for the upcoming Lok Sabha election. ‘cVIGIL’ stands
Citizen’. It is expected to be launched on 18th March
2019. It will be available on Google Playstore. Complaints regarding
the model code of conduct and violations can be lodged in during election
- To lodge a complaint, a voter should download the app from Google Play Store. Photos and two-minute video clippings regarding the violation including threatening of voters, causing enmity between voters on caste and religious lines, character assassination of candidates, can be uploaded via the app. Complainants also have the option to remain anonymous. Within 100 minutes of filing the complaint, the complainant will receive feedback on the action taken.
- RBI to inject rupee liquidity through Forex swap
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to inject
rupee liquidity into the system through long-term foreign
exchange buy/sell swap, a first-of-its-kind instrument,
used for liquidity management.
- The RBI would conduct dollar-rupee buy/sell swap
billion for a three-year tenor on March 26. The U.S.
dollar amount mobilised through this auction would also reflect in RBI’s foreign
exchange reserves for the tenor of the swap while also
reflecting in RBI’s forward liabilities.
- This move of RBI can lower the dependence on open market operations (OMO) which have been a significant amount of the overall borrowing as higher OMOs can distort the rates curve.
- ECI to launch Observer App
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) is to
launch the Observer App, a mobile application, that will help poll
observers to submit reports.
- The poll observers will get all the important
notifications and alerts through the ‘Observer App’. It
will also help them get their deployment status and download the ID card.
- As the observers will be involved in real-time disposal of cases of violation of the Model Code of Conduct and expenditure received through another mobile application ‘cVIGIL’, those details will also be available on the ‘Observer App’.
- DRDO successfully test fired Man Portable Anti-tank Guided Missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
successfully test-fired Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile
(MPATGM) in the desert ranges of Rajasthan.
- The MPATGM is a third-generation anti-tank
guided missile (ATGM) comes loaded with a high-explosive anti-tank (HEAT)
warhead. It has a maximum engagement range of about 2.5
- The indigenously developed missile has features like a state-of-the-art imaging infrared radar seeker with integrated avionics.
- IIT Kharagpur Inks MoU With C-DAC For High Performance Computing Facility & Data Center
- The IIT Kharagpur has signed an MoU with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)to set up a Petaflop high performance computing facility.
- It also includes setting up a data center funded under the National Supercomputing Mission.
- PetaFlop is the measurement of computing power based on the frequency of mathematical calculations that can be done per second.
- Setting up of the 1.3 PetaFlop high performance computing facility and data center is going to change the face of computation-based research and development in India.
- India to host U-17 Women’s Football World Cup in 2020
- India will host the Under-17 Women’s Football World Cup in 2020.
- This was announced by the President of International Football Federation (FIFA) Gianni Infantino after the council meeting in Miami, USA.
- This will be the second FIFA tournament India will be hosting, after the U-17 Men’s World Cup in 2017.
- GPSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- GPSC Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022